Long Nguyen | author
ICHQ | Site Author
Hurricane season comes with far too many dangerous surprises, and you may be shocked to learn that one of them is tornadoes. If a hurricane, tornado, or both leave you with damage to your home, business, or other property, the first order of business is reaching out to an experienced New Orleans insurance claims attorney.
How Can Hurricanes Cause Tornadoes?
Hurricanes produce conditions that are conducive to the formation of tornadoes. Consider the following basics:
- When hurricanes land, their strength begins to dissipate.can hurricanes cause tornadoes
- Friction at the ground level causes wind speeds closer to the ground to slow more quickly than do those at higher altitudes.
- This vertical decline in wind strength, coupled with unstable wind directions across the storm’s footprint, establishes the ideal conditions to form tornadoes.
When you combine strong wind shear with thermal instability near the ground, it sets the stage for intense supercell storms that can evolve into tornadoes during hurricanes.
Can Hurricanes Produce Tornadoes?
Hurricanes generate four distinct methods of destruction, including the following:
- Hurricane-force winds that begin at 74 miles per hour
- Flooding from storm surges
- Flooding from heavy rains
While the first three elements are most closely associated with the eye – or the center – of the hurricane, attendant tornadoes can extend well beyond the storm’s center. In fact, tornadoes that are caused by hurricanes can hit spots on the map that the hurricane itself does not.
When tornadoes are caused by hurricanes, they are uniquely dangerous for all the following reasons:
- They tend to form very quickly, which makes providing adequate lead time in the form of warning more difficult
- They can spring up hundreds of miles away from the storm’s center.
- While they are more likely to form during the day, they can happen at any time.
Seek the Legal Guidance of an Experienced New Orleans Insurance Claims Attorney
If a hurricane-related tornado causes your home, business, or property to be damaged, the focused New Orleans insurance claims attorneys at Insurance Claim HQ are well-prepared and well-positioned to help. Our compassionate legal team is on your side, so please don’t put off contacting us for more information about what we can do to help you today.
Hurricane Damage FAQs
How can I protect myself, my family, and my property?
The best way to protect your property is to ensure that you employ available wind protections and that you take all storm warnings very seriously. The surest way to protect your family is to follow any evacuation requirements carefully and to take all necessary precautions in response to tornado warnings.
How can I obtain the compensation to which I’m entitled?
If your property has been damaged in a hurricane or by a related tornado, a dedicated insurance claims attorney has the experience and legal insight to help you obtain just compensation.