Do You Need Additional Property Insurance?

Posted on June 22, 2021


Hayden Haskins | author

Site Logo Favicon

ICHQ | Site Author

When you own a home and purchase homeowner’s insurance, you may sleep well at night knowing you have coverage if disaster strikes. However, do you truly have all the coverage you need? If you have never closely read the fine print of your policy, you may be shocked when your insurer refuses to cover certain damage that can devastate your finances. In reality, there are many situations a standard homeowner’s policy will cover, as well as many situations it will not cover. Depending on where you live, you may need to purchase additional insurance to ensure you have the coverage to protect your home and your family.

Almost anyone who lives in the New Orleans area should know that you need to purchase a separate FEMA flood insurance policy, as your standard insurance will not cover flood damage. If you haven’t purchased this policy yet, you should do so as soon as possible.

Standard policies will also likely exclude coverage for construction defects, business equipment at home, rare or valuable property, vandalism, animal damage, burst pipes, and more. The good news is that you can purchase riders or endorsements to put together the coverage you need. Some endorsements you may want to consider include:

● Flooding
● Inflation guard
● Sewer backup
● Home business
● Boat or watercraft
● Earthquakes
● Theft
● Vacation homes

If you have difficulty understanding your policy or have trouble with a claim, you should not hesitate to discuss the matter with a property insurance attorney who understands the complex insurance process.

Contact Our Experienced New Orleans Property Casualty Lawyers Today
Insurance policy language can be confusing, though you don’t want to be left responsible for costly repairs to your home. If you have any insurance issues, consult with a property casualty attorney at Insurance Claim HQ today. Call (844) 587-8395 or contact us online to set up your appointment.