Lawyer Chris Otten shares his journey switching from being an insurance defense lawyer to serving policyholders. He underlines the importance of empathy and honesty when interacting with clients. Chris finds his past as a defense lawyer beneficial in his present role, often mediating between clients and insurance companies. He mentions his passion for teaching and community engagement, aims to positively impact people’s lives, and is always open to new endeavors. Besides his legal practice, he is also a part owner of a restaurant. Chris believes in continually striving for excellence and delivering outstanding outcomes for his clients.
Who’s the Guest?
Christopher G. Otten joined Hair Shunnarah Trial Attorneys in 2022. Prior to that, Chris represented plaintiffs for personal injury and property casualty claims, as well as in the insurance defense field, where his practice was primarily focused on health care and professional liability issues. A member of the Louisiana State Bar Association and the State Bar of Texas, Chris is also admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of Louisiana, the United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Born and raised in Hoboken, NJ, Chris came to New Orleans to attend Tulane University in 2001, graduating in 2005 with a B.S.M. in Legal Studies, German, and a minor in Political Science. In 2009, Chris earned his Juris Doctor from Loyola University New Orleans, College of Law.
- Chris’ transition from New Jersey to Louisiana, his involvement in law since college, and the effects of Hurricane Katrina on his life
- The balance between understanding and letting the clients express their unique experiences
- Galen remembers his encounter with Chris in a courtroom and reflects on his effective courtroom skills
- His admiration for women who continue to succeed in managing their various responsibilities, including those who are pregnant or have young children
- His daily routine between his academic office, attending to client matters, and managing his restaurant
- The importance of maintaining good relations with people and making a difference in their lives
- The value of understanding and empathizing with clients to better solve their legal matters
- The role of empathy in attaining successful outcomes in the legal profession
- What it means for Chris to level up’: Honesty, empathy, and delivering outstanding results for clients
- Connect with Galen M. Hair
- Connect with Chris Otten